Why is the Green Party of Alberta focusing on Electoral Reform in the 2023 Alberta Election?
Time to Focus on the Root of the Problem Instead of Fighting Each Other
The combative and hyper-partisan toxicity of our politics today is the product of our electoral system. The winner takes all "first past the post" system is directly responsible for the failure of our representatives to collaborate in the legislature for the people of this province. As we approach the next provincial election you will continue to witness how "first past the post" pits politicians and all of Alberta against one another.
Thankfully a different system exists and people are calling for it now more than ever. That system is called "proportional representation" where the percentage of votes = the percentage of seats in the legislature. It is a more democratic system. A system that existed in Alberta for over 30 years before being dismantled for the purpose of political greed, as "first past the post" allows parties in power to keep their power and take total control of the decision-making process.
- Helps to prevent wasted votes and vote splitting
- Encourages more people to vote
- Promotes cooperation between political parties
- Reduces the influence of special interests
- Helps to make the government more diverse and accountable
- Prevents a flip flopping two party system as seen in the USA
- Leads to policies that better reflect the will of the majority of voters
Electoral Reform is a Top Focus for the Alberta Greens in this Election.
Our promise is simple
- Vote for us to legislate proportional representation.
- We will work with all elected officials to legislate a system of proportional representation.
- Once implemented, the GPA would advocate for an immediate election under the new system.
Then we can all vote for what we truly want and not against what we want less.